Looking to pick up some extra guide work on some of the most beautiful rivers in the West? ROW seeks to hire a few experienced guides to work as Guest Guides on rivers such as the Lochsa, Spokane, Clark Fork, Salmon River Canyons and Rogue. ROW also occasionally needs extra bike or sea kayak guides for trips out of Coeur d'Alene. Like a substitute teacher, Guest Guides are periodically needed as an extra guide on busy days or weeks of the season. Guest Guides perform all the duties of a regular guide and are expected to perform to the same standards. As a Guest Guide, you will work with a fun-loving, thoughtful and talented group of people with a tremendous passion for the natural world. Picking up some trips as a Guest Guide can be an enjoyable way to to compliment your normal professional life or to fill in gaps in your guiding schedule. It is also a great way to get a foot in the door with ROW if you’re interested in future full-time work.
Common Guest Guide Needs
- Lochsa River: weekends from late May - late June
- Spokane River: Periodically from late May to late August
- Moyie and St. Joe: Periodic trips in May and June (usually weekends)
- The Clark Fork: regularly throughout July and August
- Infrequently on the Salmon River Canyons, Hells Canyon, Middle Fork Salmon, Rogue or other multi-day operations.
- Infrequently on bike trips or sea kayak trips in the Coeur d'Alene area.
Guest Guides must have previous commercial guiding experience and either complete any required training or demonstrate equivalent preparedness to perform. To work in Idaho, you must meet the State of Idaho’s guide license requirements. The exact nature of the commitment, including which rivers you are willing to work, availability, compensation and Idaho license considerations are negotiated individually. If you would like to be considered as Guest Guide with ROW, please submit the short application and river log following the link below.
Guide Duties and Responsibilities
- Safely navigate oar and/or paddle rafts down Class I - IV+ rivers
- Excellent risk management capability in remote settings
- Work positively with other team members to implement all aspects of a ROW trip from pack-up to clean-up in order to provide guests with a safe, meaningful and memorable experience
- Engage and respond to guests in a positive, friendly and supportive manner, including meeting their expressed and unexpressed needs
- Provide meaningful interpretation to our guests on natural and cultural history topics pertinent to the trip, such as geology, Wild and Scenic Rivers, early homesteaders, Pacific salmon etc.
- Lead guest activities, such as hikes, camp games, storytelling or campfire music
- Prepare tasty, appealing riverside meals
- Take care of ROW equipment and facilities
- Professionally represent ROW and its Mission, Vision and Values
- Follow all policies and procedures as outlined in ROW’s Guide Manual
- Act as a good steward of the natural world and follow Leave No Trace practices
Guest Guide Qualifications
- Legally allowed to work in the United States
- At least one year of previous commercial whitewater guiding experience
- Previous guide experience on the stretch of river guiding and/or completion of all required training depending on experience and ability
- An Idaho or Montana guide license, if applicable
- A current 36 hour minimum or higher advanced First Aid certification (WEC, WAFA, WFR, WEMT, EMT preferred) along with current CPR
- A positive, supportive team player
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Physically fit, able to work long hours in the field and lift and carry heavy objects over awkward terrain
- Willing and eager to interact positively with a range of age groups, from small children to seniors
- Ability to follow ROW’s drug-free and tobacco free workplace policy
How To Apply:
- Fill out an application. Download a paper application here.
- Submit a cover letter and resume with your application.
Submit forms electronically to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mail forms to:
P.O. Box 579
Couer d'Alene, ID 83816
Thank you for your interest in ROW Adventures.