Sea Kayak Adventures and Responsible Tourism
Sea Kayak Adventures has been taking responsible travel seriously since our first kayaking trips in 1993. After all, paddling a sea kayak is the ultimate minimal-impact approach to traveling. But we also recognize that any travel has an impact, so we do everything we can to reduce our footprint.
Sea Kayak Adventures is committed to protecting the environment of the places where we operate. We actively promote awareness, understanding and appreciation of the natural environment to our guests, we hire and source locally, and we support local conservation organizations. In addition, we follow leave-no-trace minimum impact practices on all of our tours.
When you travel with a company that is helping to address climate change, protect nature, and promote conservation; you are investing in your own rewarding travel experiences now and for future generations.
Practicing and Encouraging Sustainable Travel
We have choices at home, and when travel. How we travel and move through the world has invisible impacts that we try not to forget about. At Sea Kayak Adventures, we adhere to the following list of travel principles to help sustain the destinations and communities we travel to.
- We minimize motorized travel on our adventures, preferring to see a small geographic area well rather than hustling through a large area.
- We are sensitive to wildlife and help people understand what they are seeing. Our guides receive training on sharing natural and cultural history in a meaningful and relevant way. We believe that by knowing more, we care more.
- On all our trips with camping, we practice “Leave No Trace” techniques, and we have been since our beginning in 1979.
- We give back - We do this in a number of ways. We positively impact dozens of businesses from whom we purchase supplies and services wherever we operate.
- We donate goods and services to various charities, environmental groups and NGO's in many of the locations where we operate our trips.
- We hire local staff and guides. We believe that local people are the best guides to show you their communities and we strive to hire locally as much as possible.
Hiring and Sourcing Locally:
We believe that sustainable travel is as much about protecting the Earth, as it is about supporting the local communities we travel to. At Sea Kayak Adventures we take great pride, and genuine interest, in supporting the people and cultures of the places to which we travel. We strongly believe that our local guides add a level of authenticity to our tours, and help to create a personal connection for our guests to the countries that they are visiting. Our international guides are all bilingual, certified, and trained in interpretive guiding. Many of our guides hold degrees in marine biology, geology, or related fields. We also believe in supporting the local communities which we visit, by choosing to source many of our supplies and services locally. Not only does this provide an authentic feel to our tours, it helps to provide commerce to communities who depend largely on tourism.
Supporting Conservation Organizations:
While we work hard to do our part in supporting the destinations which we travel to, we also believe in the value of supporting local organizations, that more directly help to conserve and protect these environments. We are actively involved with, and financially support, a variety of conservation groups. We encourage all of our guests to visit their websites to learn more about the important work they are doing to preserve our environment. We deeply appreciate the support of these, and any other conservation organizations, by all of our guests. We all have a part in protecting the natural resources of our beautiful planet.