Antarctica Wildlife Expedition to the Antarctic Circle
Join the small group of explorers who have made it as far south as 66°33’S on this 15-day expedition to the Antarctic Circle. Discover the majestic wildlife and natural beauty of the volcanic Shetland Islands and cruise through the narrow channels of the Antarctic Peninsula before embarking on the ambitious crossing of Earth’s most southerly major circle of latitude. The further south we venture, not only will we encounter more sea ice but some breathtaking scenery that few have the privilege to witness.
Visiting a Penguin Colony in Antarctica
Images & Videos
Arrive in Ushuaia
There’s no need to worry about flight delays as you’ll arrive in Ushuaia with a full day up your sleeve before the ship’s departure. Unwind and overcome any jet lag at the Arakur Resort & Spa or venture into downtown Ushuaia to explore.
Today you’ll have a full day to discover the sights of Ushuaia, ranging from fascinating cultural museums to Argentinean leather markets. If you prefer, you can just spend the day relaxing at the resort before an optional briefing in the evening where you’ll have the opportunity to meet your fellow travelers and ask any questions you might have.
You’ll have another morning to relax at the resort before our mid-afternoon transfer to the MS Seaventure. You’ll be welcomed on board by our Expedition Team and have time to settle into your cabin, then reconvene for an orientation and safety briefing before the Captain’s welcome dinner.
As we spend the next two days crossing the famous Drake Passage, our Polar Experts will lead you through an informative series of lectures about the Antarctic’s wildlife, geology, and human history. You can help to record wildlife sightings as part of our Citizen Science program or just sit back, relax, and watch the world roll by. Several different species of seabirds are known to follow the ship as it crosses the Antarctic Convergence, with noticeably cooler temperatures greeting us as we officially arrive in Antarctic waters.
South Shetland Islands
Famed for their biodiversity and beauty, the South Shetland Islands are a volcanic archipelago around 120 kilometers north of the Antarctic Peninsula. We’ll spend a full day exploring its rugged coastlines by Zodiac boats while getting up close to the wildlife that calls the Shetlands “home”.
Crossing the Bransfield Strait, we’ll make our way towards the Antarctic Circle and the most southerly point of our expedition. We’ll then begin cruising north to navigate the spectacular channels of the Antarctic Peninsula.
The Antarctic Peninsula is famed for its sparkling bays and channels, with immense glaciers and huge icebergs accompanying us on our journey. In addition to spotting seals, whales, and several species of penguins, you’ll have the opportunity to visit some of the peninsula’s historic landing sites and active scientific bases to learn about the research being conducted here.
With incredible memories, it’s time to leave the Antarctic Peninsula and make our way north across the Drake Passage. We’ll celebrate in style during a farewell dinner on our last night onboard, as well as enjoying a slideshow featuring some of the stand-out moments from the trip.
Disembarkation in Ushuaia
After arriving back in Ushuaia, you’ll depart the MS Seaventure in the morning, with enough time to catch a flight to Buenos Aires the same day. Alternatively, you may opt to stay a few days longer in Ushuaia to explore everything Patagonia has to offer.
Dates & Rates
Activities During Voyage
- Kayaking - $895 additional. Please sign up at the time of booking as space is extremely limiited.
- Citizen Science - Included
- Photography - Included
MS Seaventure - Rates by Cabin
Jan 17, 2022
Jan 24, 2023
ALL ANTARCTIC VOYAGES INCLUDE:
PRIOR TO DEPARTURE:
- Two pre-voyage hotel nights in Ushuaia for all departures which embark in Ushuaia
- For the Nov 3, 2021 and Nov 1, 2022 departures only: One pre-voyage hotel night* in Puerto Madryn
- *These departures also include a post-voyage hotel night in Ushuaia
- Transfer from airport in embarkation city to group hotel if arriving on Day 1 of itinerary, and providing we have your confirmed air itinerary at least 60 days prior to departure
- Transfer from group hotel to ship for embarkation
ON BOARD ISLAND SKY AND SEAVENTURE:
- Shipboard accommodations
- All meals on board
- All alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages (some super premium brands excluded)
- Coffee/Tea/Cocoa 24 hours a day
- All scheduled landings and excursions
- Our Citizen Science program: participation in a variety of scientific activities that support important research projects
- Expedition jacket (yours to keep)
- A pair of loaner boots for use during the voyage
- WiFi from the public computers
- 200 MB WiFi card for use on your personal devices
- Daily international news service
- All port fees
- All landing fees
- Digital Voyage Log
- Group transfer from ship to airport, hotel in Ushuaia, or central location following disembarkation.
- Please note we cannot drop at Airbnb / private homes which are often inaccessible for our transfer vehicles.
- For the Nov 3 2021 and Nov 1 2022 departures only, one post-voyage hotel night in Ushuaia.
VOYAGES DO NOT INCLUDE:
- Any airfare or travel expenses associated with arrival in Ushuaia or Puerto Madryn other than those listed above
- Transfer from airport to group hotel, unless arriving on Day 1 of the itinerary
- On the Nov 3, 2021 and Nov 1, 2022 voyages, departure transfer from hotel to airport in Ushuaia
- Pre- or post-voyage expenses in Ushuaia or Puerto Madryn
- Travel insurance; medical insurance; evacuation coverage
- Laundry and personal expenses incurred on board
- Onboard communication charges such as outgoing phone calls, WiFi from personal devices in excess of the 200 MB provided
- Staff gratuities
The beautiful MS Seaventure boasts a 1-A Super ice class rating, top ice class honors among vessels designed for passenger travel. Thoughtfully designed, the MS Seaventure offers exterior facing rooms, some even including balconies. The common areas aboard the ship are thoughtfully designed to offer beautiful, calming and collaborative spaces. Some passenger favorite features include the Citizen Science lab, fitness center, library, sauna and heated saltwater pool on the top deck!
- Passengers: 164*
- Crew: 90 (includes Staff)
- Built by: Mitsubishi Shipyard, Kobe (Japan)
- Built in: 1990
- Reimagined: 2019
- Refurbished: Spring 2021
- Manager: RsR Nemo Ship Management, Cyprus
- Registered in: Limassol, Cyprus
- Length: 111,5 m
- Width: 17,0 m
- Tonnage: 6 752 GRT
- Class: B.V. Ice Class 1A Super (highest available)
- Stabilization: Retractable-type Fin Stabilizers (11 m2 ea)
*To enhance our guest experience, we carry a maximum of 139 passengers. In an effort to accommodate rebooking preferences, some voyages may carry up to 149
- Two Elevators serving all passenger decks
- Library with computers
- Fitness Center and Sauna
- Heated salt-water swimming pool
- Citizen Science Laboratory
All Staterooms Feature:
- Exterior views
- Sitting area with chairs or sofa and table
- Complimentary Mini-Bar
- Flat Screen TV
- Safe to store your valuables
- Independent temperature controls
- Luxury toiletries
- Hair dryer