Last Updated July 24, 2020
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update
This page is updated as needed as we monitor the ever-changing Coronavirus situation.
Effective July 24, 2020 - All guests making new reservations for travel on any of our Sea Kayak Adventures trips lasting 3 or more days, are required to purchase CFAR (Cancel for any reason) Travel Insurance to protect their investment and ours. In the ever-changing world of COVID-19 where national, state and local regulations are unpredictable, this insurance protects 75% of your trip price if you cancel for any reason or we are unable to perform the trip. The 25% of the trip price that is not covered may be applied to a future trip credit to be used in 2021 or 2022. No cash refunds will be issued for any reason whatsoever. As a company we cannot afford to purchase food and trip supplies, hire guides, and prepare for trips and then refund trip fees when events cause people to cancel, or us to cancel, for reasons that may be beyond everyone’s control.
Decision Timeframe: As of July 24, 2020 we are monitoring the situation for travel to Mexico, Cuba, Ecuador and our other destinations, and are hopeful we will be able to operate during the November 2020 to May 2021 season.
A short note from Founder Peter Grubb
We know that we are not alone in our struggles, and we so appreciate everyone that has reached out to us during this time. We want to express our gratitude to all the frontline health care workers who are fighting for us all. Also, to those in other essential services that continue to provide the services we all need. Thank you.
For 41 years ROW Adventures and our sister companies, Adventure Unbound, Sea Kayak Adventures and River Dance Lodge, have been sharing the joy of meaningful, life-enriching travel. We’ve been through a number of difficult times, but like most people, have never experienced anything that has impacted so many people in so many ways, all around the globe.
We want to reassure you that our first priority is the health and wellbeing of our guests, our employees and our greater travel community. We are in constant contact with our local guides and staff to keep current of changes as they occur.
As a family owned and operated company, we are doing our best to make sound decisions that are fair, and in the best interest of everyone. We thank you for navigating these difficult times with us. Thank you for valuing travel and the positive changes it provides the world. For those looking for a summer get-away, River Dance Lodge will be open as of May 22. As noted below, we plan to begin operations of our rafting trips in June and summer sea kayaking in July.
We have had several offers from guests to pay in full for trips they have reserved for late 2020 and 2021. They tell us: “We love ROW Adventures, and we want to be sure you will be there to continue providing the much-needed and appreciated vacation experiences that mean so much to us.” These calls bring hope and tears of gratitude to our entire team.
As we find our path, I am reminded of the words of Henry Kissinger who said: “A diamond is a chunk of coal that did well under pressure.”
May we all find the diamonds within us and our communities.
– Peter Grubb, Founder
FAQ’s Specific to the Current Coronavirus Situation
Are you still operating your trips?
We plan to operate our tours starting in November 2020, if national, local and regional regulations allow.
What if I'm booked on a trip in the USA or Canada between June 1 and September 20, 2020?
Our goal is to provide you the time and information you need to make a decision that fits you best. If you booked your trip prior to July 1, 2020 and you wish to postpone your USA or Canada-based trip, you can transfer to another date prior to final payment, without penalty.
Will travel insurance protect my vacation investment?
We will not be able to offer any refunds or credits outside of our standard terms and conditions. Because of the ever-changing pandemic situation, we require all guests to purchase CFAR (Cancel for Any Reason) travel insurance, as noted above. This coverage must be purchased within 21 days of paying your initial deposit.
You can learn more about coverage as it relates to the Coronavirus here.
What if I am unable to travel at the time of my trip departure due to a travel ban, or restrictions imposed by federal, state or local government authorities?
The CFAR Travel Insurance will cover 75% of your tour fee, as noted above.
What if ROW, Sea Kayak Adventures postpones my trip?
If we choose to postpone a trip, or we have no choice and must do so due to closure by a federal, state or local authority, governmental intervention, and we do not provide an alternate trip*, you can file a claim with the CFAR Travel Insurance for a refund, as noted above.
* We reserve the right to offer an alternate trip or itinerary that matches the date and gateway city of the original trip. Should you choose not to participate, this is treated as a cancellation. (Example: High winds, or a high wind forecast, prevent us from operating a kayak tour near La Paz. We provide an alternative trip on our “Magical Magdalena Bay” location, and provide transportation to/from La Paz, Baja, which is the original gateway city. If you choose not to go on this alternative trip, you are choosing to cancel and our cancellation policy applies. In this case you can file a claim under the CFAR insurance policy.
If I cancel or change my departure, or Sea Kayak Adventures cancels my trip, will Sea Kayak Adventures cover my costs for pre or post-trip flights, car rentals, hotels or other associated trip expenses?
In the event of any cancellation or rescheduled trip, you are responsible for cancellation or change fees related to rental cars, pre or post-trip flights, hotels, etc.
What should I do if I’m booked on a trip but health concerns make me wonder if I should travel?
If you are unsure whether to travel due to health concerns, we recommend you consult with your physician. This is another reason we require the purchase of CFAR (Cancel for any Reason) insurance.
Please email your Adventure Consultant, or gives us a call at 1-208-765-3116 if you have any questions about the policies specific to your trip and the area(s) you are visiting. Ultimately, if we do not cancel a trip, the decision to travel is up to you.
What if I’m considering making a new reservation?
Book with Confidence - To confirm your trip, a deposit is required within 72 hours of making your reservation. Your deposit is fully refundable up to 10 days after you book when you sign up 10 days or more before final payment due date (does not apply to Private or Custom Trips).
Please understand that because the COVID-19 situation is changing daily and unpredictable, we reserve the right to change these policies without prior notice. However, the terms and conditions that were in place at the time of your reservation will apply.
Operational Changes During the Coronavirus Pandemic
To learn more about our policies regarding screen and attendance on our trips, sanitary precautions and other COVID-19 related questions, please visit our COVID-19 screening, attendance and operational response page.